Chicken with Broccoli
I think I like any dish with cheese… I guess it has to do with my swiss roots 😉 In Switzerland, at family restaurants, almost everything has cheese in it – if not, they put cheese on top!
- 1 chicken – in pieces
- 2 carrots, 1 celery stick, parsley
- 1 large broccoli – in small pieces
- 3 oz (100 gr) grated cheese (Gruyère)
- 3 oz (100 gr) grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 3 oz (75 gr) butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper and nutmeg to taste
- Place the chicken in a stock pot. Add the carrots, celery, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt. Add water and boil for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender.
- Take out the chicken and let cool. Save the chicken broth for a nice Consommé.
For the cream sauce (Béchamel):
- In a saucepan, melt the butter at medium heat.
- Add the flour and let fry while stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring the heat to medium – high, and continue stirring until it starts to boil.
Now to put it all together: