Carne Mechada – Shredded Beef
This is a Venezuelan favorite. It is usually eaten for breakfast with arepas:
- 2 lbs beef (sirloin or skirt – skirt shreads easier! – I cannot buy in Germany, but if I could I would prefer it)
- 2 peppers – chopped
- 2 onions- chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – pressed
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin (in Germany, buy it at the Asia Markt – do not use german cumin)
- Pepper to taste
- Boil the beef for 2 hours. Add salt, peeled carrots and celery, and continue boiling for at least another 2 hours.
- Let cool, and then shred the beef using 2 forks or with your fingers – I prefer the fork method:
- Make a “Sofrito”: Fry the onions, peppers and garlic for about 15 minutes at medium heat.
- Add the shredded beef to the pan, and then add the broth you boiled the beef in.
- Add the tomato puree and the cumin, and cook until the broth has reduced.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Fill your arepas with carne mechada, or eat with rice and black beans.