Ingredients: 1 large pie crust 1 1/2 cups broccoli 1/2 cup peas 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 cup shredded Gruyère 3 eggs 1 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup milk 1 1/2 teaspoons salt nutmeg and pepper to taste Directions: Arrange the pie crust in a […]
Month: June 2010
Ingredients: 3 ripe tomatoes 1/2 lb (250 gr) mozzarella Basil leaves Balsamico Cream Olive Oil Salt to taste Directions: Slice the tomatoes and the mozzarella. Arrange in circular form, alternating tomato slices with mozzarella and basil leaves. Sprinkle some balsamico cream and olive oil. Add […]
I added some Grenadine to the Frozen Yogurt for a twist and some color. Grenadine is a syrup made of pomegranate juice, so it is sweet and adds a really nice flavor – just make sure it’s the real thing and not some corn syrup imitation.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons Grenadine
- 1/2 cup strawberries – sliced
- whole strawberries to decorate
- Place yogurt, grenadine and sliced strawberries in an Ice Cream maker.
- When the frozen yogurt is ready, serve and decorate with some strawberries.
This is Venezuela’s National Dish. You can also serve it with Arepas and Queso Blanco (white cheese – similar to mozarella). Ingredients: Rice (cooked) Plátanos Fritos Black Beans Carne Mechada Directions: Serve all ingredients on a plate and sprinkle some shredded queso blanco over the […]
A friend of mine from Romania thought me how to make this delicious spread. You can serve it with crackers, toast or any type of bread.
- 3 Eggplants
- 5 Pimentos
- 3 Carrots
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 – 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper to taste
If you’re tired of buying ice cream at the store, try making your own. Right before serving dinner, I add all the ingredients to the Ice Cream machine, and by the time we’re done eating, it’s ready!
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 banana – mashed
- 1 banana – in slices
- 4 Tablespoons chocolate flakes
- Turn on your Ice Cream machine.
- Start adding the yogurt, then the bananas and then the chocolate flakes.
- Let it run for about 25 minutes.
- Decorate with the sliced bananas.
It’s time to add my family’s favorite snack on the blog. When the kids were little, I started to make “cambur machacado”. “Cambur” is banana in Venezuela (not in other spanish speaking countries), and “machacado” means mashed. I think the name started as a joke, […]
- 4 smoked pork chops
- 1/2 Cabbage – thinly sliced
- 1 can sauerkraut
- 1 onion – chopped
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 dried juniper berries
- 1 cup apple juice
- In a large pot, fry the chopped onions slightly in a little bit of oil.
- Add the sauerkraut, cabbage, salt, bay leaves, juniper berries and apple juice (or water), and cook at medium heat for at least 45 minutes.
- Add the pork chops and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with mustard and dark or rye bread.
Diablitos was everyone’s favorite in Venezuela when I was a kid. It is actually an American product – Deviled Ham, but its largest consumer is Venezuela. It’s usually consumed with arepas, toast or crackers. A friend of ours started mixing it with mayo and parmesan […]
1 lb (500 gr) fresh mushrooms – sliced
- 1/2 onion – finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves – pressed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch – dissolved in water
- Parmesan or Pecorino – grated
- Cooked tortellini
- Fry the onion and the garlic in a tiny bit of oil by low heat for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue frying for another 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and milk, and continue cooking.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Add the cornstarch and bring it very shortly to a boil, making sure you are mixing it very well – Use a whisker so it doesn’t clump.
- Serve with tortellini, parmesan or pecorino.
Shrimp Cocktail with avocado was one of my favorite meals in Venezuela. Ingredients: Cooked shrimp – 6 per serving Avocados – 1/2 per serving Salsa Rosada: 2 Tablespoons Mayo 4 Tablespoons Ketchup Lemon Juice Salt and pepper to taste 1/2 teaspoon horseradish Directions: Mix all […]
- Puff pastry
- Parmesan cheese – grated
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Cut the puff pastry in 1.5″ x 10″ (4cm x 25 cm) pieces.
- Brush olive oil over the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle salt, garlic powder and parmesan cheese over the puff pastry.
- Take each piece, fold lengthwise, and then twist. Place on a backing sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a 350ºF (180ºC) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.